Mail black large Tel black large Tel black large

07866 764 324

01947 880 618

PM Straw Builders Google plus pm straw builders, builder in Whitby, Whitby builder

Whitby | Scarborough | Fylingthorpe | Robin Hoods Bay | The Esk Valley

UK building news

Parking space is at a premium! Driveways and paving for your home.

By James Thompson, Jun 19 2019 03:42PM

With more vehicles on the road, and parking space becoming more scarce than ever, many home owners opt for a new driveway to solve the issue of getting parked anywhere near their house – Who likes to unload the car, then drive 5 minutes to find a space to park it?

Having a new driveway is a relatively simple process, often not requiring planning permission if the right specifications are met.

Advice from the online planning portal states that you will not need formal planning permission if you intend to use a permeable paving surface such as gravel, porous asphalt, or permeable block paving such as the Permapave range from Stonemarket, or, if the surface is not permeable, the rainwater run-off is directed to a surface water drain, or other permeable surface such as a lawn or gravel area.

It is also worth noting that these rules only apply to your front garden, so bear that in mind before beginning your project.

You will require planning permission if your proposed driveway exceeds 5m2, and your driveway doesn’t meet the conditions above (permeable surface / directs water run off to a permeable surface).

Also to consider is if you need to install Drop Kerbs if your access passes over a public footpath, and this is something that a registered contractor needs to complete.

PM Straw Builders have all the expertise you need to complete your driveway project to the highest standard, to improve your car parking provision, or to simply create a low maintenance area of your home in place of a lawn or garden area. Call us today for further advice, and to discuss your plans.

Disclaimer; This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information. If in doubt contact your local planning department.

Add a comment
* Required